Happy Swinging Singles Day! Oh, not forgetting, Happy Friendship Day!
Yep, once again, it's Valentine's Day! Was Valentine Cupid's name? He wouldn't have been Chinese anyhow, not with the New Year just past. Seems to me that the angbaos come in to one pocket, and disappear out of the other, and more so for the guys. It's always interesting to watch people around rack their brains over what to buy, what to do, where to go etc. As if birthdays and anniversary days aren't enough. Just saw a poor bloke carrying a present in one hand, dressed in shirt and pants, obviously going for a date. He kept adjusting his shirt that I suspect he's just that bit nervous. Amusing. Oh and did you know it's the Chinese V day too? It coincides this year. Listening to all the firecrackers going off on the other shore is making me jealous of malaysians! I wish my childhood new years were spent playing with firecrackers.
And I was just wondering what my V Days were spent on:
2000-2003, IJ days. Days of friendship, love and lots of handmade gifs, sweets, chocs and the occasional flower.
2004, VJ days. S16 junior-senior gathering (don't ask me how I rmbed that). Gift exchange.
2005, still in VJ. Went out at night with Jean to esplanade's roof top garden to watch the couples there and to intrude into their privacy. hah.
2006, worked morning shift, went home at night. Love the decor in the restaurant.
2007, first night in Melb, spent in my parents' hotel room. Far away from friends on friendship day.
2008, went out with inn and pei, went for yoga class at night. Typing away.
Time flies. More and more friends have I accumulated over these years, yet further and further away I feel from them. I miss the heartwarming days of IJ.
Back to couples. Haha I'm rather cynical about V Day. Afterall, shouldn't everyday be V Day for the lovebirds? Maybe my cynicism explains why I'm feeling rather nonchalent about staying at home alone today, while some of my friends feel that tad bit unwanted. I don't envy couples when I see them today, I don't even envy them when I see them marry.
But I did envy my friend when he announced he was going to be a dad in two weeks. I envied that momentary glow in his eyes.
Happy Valentine's Day to all! Love can be in the very ordinary things you do with any of your loved ones.