skyblue Perspectives
5
.
moon
.
sky
Welcome.
Please give me your blog links, esp. if they have previously been on this blog. Thank you.
Friday, July 03, 2009
The first semester of my second year in Vet school has finally (hopefully) concluded with the end of exams, which consisted of a whooping 9 papers. NINE. I had seven subjects, out of which two had practical papers on top of theory. It was madness, and if I pass all my papers (results are out next friday), I will be extremely proud of myself just to have survived. Through the sem, I had an average 32 contact hours per week, with lessons starting from 9 and ending at 5, with an hour break for lunch. It does sound incredulous, especially for uni curriculum in this day and age. You must think I'm mad but I actually enjoyed myself quite thoroughly. And I do not say this just because it's all over; I enjoyed myself throughout the sem amidst all that frenzy.
Firstly, the course subjects were now less broad and we were finally studying things that was more interesting. We started to learn about parasites, viruses, diseases, drugs, other than how body systems work, animal management, and general anatomy. Interest is a huge motivation for learning, and I never regretted staying on for lectures despite upcoming tests, projects and exams.
Secondly, the large amount of contact hours actually made it much easier. We were forced to pay attention for 7 hours in the day, and at least 5 hours at night after school. Such a rigorous routine made it easier to be disciplined, and it made my time very fruitful. If I was in another course with less contact hours, and more free time to manage on my own, I would probably have wasted or at least under-untilised all that time. So even though I'll spend at least 2 more years in school than most of my peers, I reckon I gained a whole lot more than most would in these 5 years. Plus, I do like routines.
Thirdly, having a small group of 120 people in my course each year means that we do get closer to more coursemates than other courses would, and that translates into more support for each other. The kind of atmosphere and interaction during lessons and between students and lecturers, as well as our strict routine, is almost like having secondary school days with triple the amount of classmates, double the amount of contact hours, but about half the rapport we have with each other. Let's face it: you're never gonna get as good friends as you do in secondary school. Despite that, competition if any is friendly, people are mostly unselfish in sharing knowledge, and support from each other and especially the lecturers will probably be the best you can get compared to other uni courses. And for that, and knowing that 100 plus people are serious about their work and also struggling as much as you are, makes things a lot easier to bear.
Having said that, no amount of support, interest or routine can take away the anguish of 1 month of prep and exams, and make it bearable. By my last papers, I was so drained I barely made it through studying. I slept an average of 8 hours a night during that whole period, but by my last paper I was getting whoozy. So imagine the exhilaration we got when we finished! We had a pizza-and-booze party in our school courtyard, after which I went out for ktv till late. It felt so free....
I had a good weekend of going out with friends, coursemates, until Monday. Went for dinner, and baam! Suddenly I was down with flu. Which felt strange, since I hardly got flu in Melb. I came down with a fever, which lasted a whole day, followed by cough and headache. Had as much porridge as my stomach could bear, took some panadols, and slept as much as my head would allow. Things seem to be better by Wednesday. I was still confined to the house but I could get up, read a book, watch some movies, and basically was quite sane. Thursday, however, saw me confined to bed again, with a slight fever, and a sleepless night. Today's Friday, and I managed to catch up on sleep, took plenty of water, and feel a bit better. All the other bouts of flu that I get usually start with a sorethroat, and those that don't start with fever. Those that start with fever usually do not last as long as this.
Boy am I glad that exams are over before this flu started! Then again, I was really taking care of myself during exams, plus I was house/library-confined, so catching the flu was less likely. After exams saw me out and about late at night, and letting my guard down against the virus, which was why it struck later than sooner.
I haven't been to the doctors, cause they usually give antibiotics which is of no use during a flu. And I was pretty sure I'd be all right on my own, considering I don't have any underlying medical conditions. Though if I had gone, I would have taken a blood test and quarantined at home with my housemate for 7 days.
Pigs may fly, I might be a swine.
5.moon.sky
8:00 pm
This picture was taken at a CSS 2006 Trivarsity Retreat at The Church of St. Teresa, by a fellow retreat cum CSS member.
Besides its bluish hue, I love how the shot was taken: from the church looking out to the city. We are often attracted by
the excitement that this world has to offer, but we should often be reminded that as Catholics, it is important
to look back at our selves to reflect, and to turn to God as often as it possible. For we are, afterall, children of God.
I thought of replacing this picture when I lost my template, but I could not find another so full of meaning and beauty to me.
It reminds me of my identities and roles - my spirituality, my God, my home, the people who read this blog, and of my own beauty.
Nicole
13 October 1987
(what do people usually say?)
a person of few words
unless you know me really well
but since you're reading this blog most likely you do
so whatever you don't already know about me you should be able to find it out here
anything else, just ask me
ninjaturtle87@hotmail.com
oh and don't bother asking me out
unless you want to go Down Under
mood: resigned
song in her head: wants to give you up. she knows you're not the one. not the one who understands her. not the one who wants to support her and love her for all her imperfections.
Get awesome blog templates
like this one from BlogSkins.com